Server stuck in maintenance mode for over an hour now after a reboot. Could someone please look into this?
My server made it out of installing and is now in maintenance for like 10 minutes.
Mine was the harvest rates. The server just flat out wouldn't adjust them either via FTP or the web dashboard. It would adjust the file and then on a reboot completely reset the file again, therefore negating the changes.
I've been having various issues here and there with resources harvest rates and dino damage. I even had another member of the community who had harvest rates working take a look via FTP and we couldn't figure it out. I decided to completely delete the server and create a new to start fresh and now it's stuck at installing for about 30 minutes now.
gportal_122952 helped me get the settings working temporarily, but now they are not working again after a restart. My GameUserSettings.ini file keeps removing the configurations on a reboot. Here are the pertinent settings before a reboot.
Here they are after a reboot.
The file size also changes as soon as I reboot. Before it's filesize is 3294 and then after it is 3036. Here is the DefaultGameUserSettings.ini file also just incase.
I'm trying to modify my resources and I simply cannot get it to work properly. I am currently only running a single grid server with the 1x1 All Biomes MAP that G-Portal let's you select. Not sure if that's pertinent or not, but figured I would let you know. Here is what I have tried:
I've tried modifying harvestamount, harvesthealth, inside of ShooterGame/Saved/1_A1/Config/WindowsServer/GameUserSettings.ini. When I first open the file these settings aren't even in the file so I add them to it. When I restart the server it removes only those lines that I added, any other changes I have made stay.
I checked under ShooterGame/Saved/ for a Config folder, but there is no folder there for Config. I only have 1_A1 and Logs within that directory.
I also tried modifying ShooterGame/Config/DefaultGameUserSettings.ini to have the harvest items changed and it still does nothing. Am I missing something or should I open a support ticket. I don't want to add another ticket if I'm just missing something simple here.